• Users Online: 341
  • Print this page
  • Email this page
ORIGINAL ARTICLE
Year : 2019  |  Volume : 3  |  Issue : 2  |  Page : 517-526

Role of computed tomography and magnetic resonance imaging in the assessment of temporal bone pre-cochlear and postcochlear implantation


1 Department of Radiodiagnosis, Faculty of Medicine (For Boys), Al-Azhar University, Cairo, Egypt
2 Department Otorhinolaryngology, Military Medical Academy and Al Galaa Military Hospital, Cairo, Egypt

Correspondence Address:
MD Mohamed S Elfeshawy
El Mahalla El Kobra, Gharbyia, Cairo
Egypt
Login to access the Email id

Source of Support: None, Conflict of Interest: None


DOI: 10.4103/sjamf.sjamf_29_19

Get Permissions

Introduction Multidetector computed tomography (CT) and MRI play a critical role in the evaluation and management of different causes of hearing loss, which require many therapeutic techniques including cochlear implantation. Multidetector CT has proven its efficacy in the postoperative imaging of cochlear implant patients. CT confirms the intracochlear position of the implant. It has also been shown that malpositioning and kinking can be detected by CT imaging. Aim of the work To evaluate the role of various imaging modalities (CT and MRI) in the preoperative and postoperative evaluation of cochlear implant candidates. Patients and methods The study included a total of 20 patients referred to the Radiodiagnosis Department from the ENT Department in Al Galaa Military Hospital. CT and MRI were performed for the assessment of the cochlear state before cochlear implantation operation. Postoperative CT was done to underline the position of the implanted electrode. Setting and design This study involves prospective, randomized, controlled trials. Ethics Informed consent from a parent or guardian. Results This study included 20 patients with bilateral severe to profound sensorineural hearing loss. The study was performed on eight (40%) men and 12 (60%) women. Only 17 (85%) patients underwent cochlear implantation, the other three (15%) cases were diagnosed as Michel deformity, Cochlear hypoplasia, and Labyrinthine ossificans. Full electrode array insertion was reported in all cases who underwent cochlear implantation. Conclusion Preoperative CT and MRI assessment is critical for determining implant candidacy. Postoperative CT confirms the intracochlear position of the implant.


[FULL TEXT] [PDF]*
Print this article     Email this article
 Next article
 Previous article
 Table of Contents

 Similar in PUBMED
   Search Pubmed for
   Search in Google Scholar for
 Related articles
 Citation Manager
 Access Statistics
 Reader Comments
 Email Alert *
 Add to My List *
 * Requires registration (Free)
 

 Article Access Statistics
    Viewed54    
    Printed2    
    Emailed0    
    PDF Downloaded8    
    Comments [Add]    

Recommend this journal